Friday, January 1, 2010

Dad, I saw you.....

A young lad got married and settled down gloating over his moral and disciplined up bringing. He was pondering on this, and he realized that he should pen his thoughts in the form of an epistle of gratitude to his dad. He started every sentence with; “You may not be aware Dad, but I was observing you…..”

Dear Dad,

I saw mum and you celebrate my first painting, which proudly adored the refrigerator like a master piece; and you encouraged me to paint another master piece of mine.

I saw you appreciating me for being what I am, never compared me with my friends and their achievements; thus inspiring me to improve myself by competing with self.

I saw you feeding the dogs, cats and birds every morning; and learnt compassion for all living beings.

I saw you pray to God for inspiration to be a better person and guidance to deal with worldly issues.

I saw you lending a helping hand to friends, relatives and neighbours, especially those in hospital for medical treatment; thus teaching me to support those near and dear to us.

I saw you keeping in touch with other family members; even if others were being reticent; and today, they love and respect mummy and you because you were genuine in your concern for them. I learnt how important it is to be one with the family.

I saw you completing all your responsibilities even when you were fatigued or debilitated; thus teaching me the importance of our responsibilities and duties.

I saw you lying down alone, with moistened eyes when you were deeply hurt or in grief; and remembered thereafter that shedding a tear in sorrow is not a sign of cowardice.

I saw you showering your love and affection to your ageing parents, my grand parents; gently placing your hand on their shoulder as a mark of reassurance and support to them. Today, my compassionate attitude towards my elders is appreciated, the seeds for which were sown by you.

I saw you sit through the night by the side of your ailing mother, and today, I too peep in once I a way during the wee hours of the night to see mum and you sleeping well. You may say history repast itself, if so, so be it, but thanks to you for this teaching.

I saw you appreciating mummy’s finger licking preparations, or even a simple cup of tea in the evening, as I was playing on my video game in the adjacent room. I remember to follow suit with my wife too as I see my son surfing the net in the room yonder.

I remember the day a toast got burnt, while mummy was busy packing me off to school and you quietly ate it without a complain; for you respected her preoccupation in taking care of me.

I saw you showering your love to mummy with an occasional hug or a peck on her cheek and now ensure that I take care of my wife likewise; for I learnt that there is no sin in being naughty or flirty with your wife.

I saw you maintain calm composure and silence when our neighbour came to fight with you over a petty issue. I saw you gently diffuse the matter without offending him or getting into a verbal dual or argument. I learnt that there is so much of peace in this attitude. Why trouble myself, when I know that we cannot change certain things and situations in life. I may not be having your tolerance and patience; but I must admit that remembering your tolerance and patience during difficult times, really inspires me today.

I saw you treating our driver and other workers with sweets and luncheons during various festivals, taking care of their well being all the time.

I saw you treat vegetable vendors and rickshaw drivers with respect and remember how they spoke gently and affectionately with you.

I saw you spending your free time in reading good meaningful books, listening to soothing music or attending a discourse. I would be busy with my toys and games as you would narrate your learning experience; but I did pick a few things despite my preoccupation. Today, when I ponder on those random thoughts, I realize the life’s lessons you were imparting to me.

I saw you maintain a positive attitude, I saw your encouraging words, I saw your body language when struck with misfortune and adversities. Today, my friends and relatives appreciate this trait in me.

I have friends who became addicts to tobacco over the years because in some cases their addicted fathers sent them to those petty shops to buy things for them. Fortunately, you never had any such addiction and now all my friends appreciate me for being free of all these addictions.

Dad, I promise to you that I too will live a similar life of being a good role model and set a good example to my children. I know that just as I was observing you, I am being observed by my children every moment.

Your loving son.

The gist of this aphorism is that what we as mummies and daddies preach and correct our children is of little consequence; because what really influences them is how we behave ourselves, how we lead our lives, how we present ourselves, how our actions can inspire them.

No comments: